[Bf-committers] Layer system

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Sat Dec 22 18:53:27 CET 2007

On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 08:17:47AM -0800, Martin Poirier wrote:

> > though the whole
> > problem is a lot more complex of whether to use
> > bitflags or linked
> > lists.
>
> Indeed. As I said, back end storage is perfectly
> decoupled from grouping functionality.

Finally!
One of the few that understands.Thanks.

Ok, ok, Martin is not the only one!  But it is waaay too
soon to be talking about implementation issues.

The basic idea for building software is

1) Figure out what you need (Requirements)
2) Decide how to provide those features (Design)
3) Build it (Implementation)

Iterative development styles break #3 down into phases, but you
still have to do the first two steps.

Right now, the discussion is jumping around because we have not
decided on what sort of system we want to end up with.

Until we decide what we want, talking about implementation details
like bit fields is a waste of time.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net