[Bf-committers] Layer system

Carl Olsson carl.olsson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 02:56:41 CET 2007

I'm probably talking out of my arse here (a great start) as I've only
ever used layers in a very simple manner and pretty much never used
groups, but couldn't much of the desirable qualities of a rewritten
layer system be handled with an extension of the group system?

Layers are just groups of objects after all, so if you added the
ability to toggle group visibility/renderability wouldn't that pretty
much have it covered?

You'd want to enhance the gui, such as add groups to the outliner
(provides the visibility/renderability toggles) and probably similar
functionality to buttons panel and maybe a group membership popup.

This way you could keep the much loved old layer system and add any
desrible new functionality, hopefully without any excessive
reengineering.

Unless of course I have no idea what I'm talking about.

--
Surt's Pixels - http://surtspixels.googlepages.com/index.html