[Bf-committers] Layer system

Arne Schmitz arne.schmitz at gmx.net
Fri Dec 21 15:27:14 CET 2007

Am Freitag, 21. Dezember 2007 14:09:26 schrieb Bob Holcomb:
> Also, I would be seriously surprised if looping over an array of 1000
> layers  every redraw event  has an impact on the user experience (not
> frame rate).  I have yet to be able to find anybody who can tell the
> difference between 60 fps and 6000 fps.  I recommend  1) determining if
> there is a problem (edit: yes there is) 2)coming up with a good
> (flexible, easy to maintain) solution that works and then 3) optimize
> only if is identified as a bottleneck.

Your proposed rendering method would be a bit... lame. If you introduce a
linked list, why not have a linked list of active layers, and every layer
contains a list of objects that are in this layer. This way your rendering
loop simply runs over the "active layer list" and renders all the objects in
there.

And enabling or disabling a layer is a simple link or unlink operation, which
is O(1).

Arne

--
Dipl.-Inform. Arne Schmitz              Phone   +49 (0)241 80-21817
Computer Graphics Group                 Fax     +49 (0)241 80-22899