[Bf-committers] Expanding the number of layers in Blender

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:08:54 CET 2007

True, and thinking of it now, that array should be a int array instead
of a char array as on 32bit or greater procs (as 100% of blender
computers are) you would only need bfsize to be 8 which could be
unrolled by the compiler. But if we where to take it up to 1024 layers
(if just to thumb our nose at Maya and others), that'd be 32 ints,
which probably wouldn't be unrolled (depends on the compiler). But
then, this function will only become a bottleneck when you have
thousands upon thousands of objects that are all in the high numbered
layers (as in the example I gave we have the early exit option, i.e.
the break). So could almost take it up higher, but then memory
consumption becomes an issue as well (128bytes per object we're
adding).

Timothy