[Bf-committers] Expanding the number of layers in Blender

David Bryant aceone at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 18 08:35:49 CET 2007

As mentioned in a previous post,bit fields to flag as layer numbers are no good after you shift past 1<<31, so Blender's number of layers will never go past 31 (which I have achieved) expanding Blender's layer count to 31 layers using the present method in Blender's codebase.
I want to give Blender "at least"  256 scene layers.Lightwave,Maya and others have 999.I have to load a layer number identification table that will load "once" on Blender's startup in order to statically assign layer numbers instead of assigning that many layer numbers "on the fly"every time a function is called which is inefficient as regard code speed.

 My question is, is there a module in Blender that initializes "once" on startup so that I can ride that module or function to initialize a layer table? If this doesn't exist, the only other thing is a header file with a large number of definitions and large arrays that would repeatedly load on the fly.

If there are any other ideas as to how I can do this efficiently, please share.