[Bf-committers] FBX exporter for Blender?

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Wed Aug 29 01:50:36 CEST 2007

GSR wrote:
> Hi,
> kwizatz at aeongames.com (2007-08-28 at 1704.57 -0600):
>> You're right, there are no specs either, its too closed to be an open
>> standard.
>> I guess since the Windows version of Blender links against the Quicktime SDK
>> it would be ok to link against the fbx SDK, (maybe as a Python extension
>> then called from a script),
>> but I am really the new guy around here, so I really don't know what I
>> am talking about :)
>
> Current code in Blender is Python, export only, writes text version
> (there seem to be binary .fbx version), no idea what was used as
> reference, maybe looking at example files (written Creator tags
> contradict, ie, hard to believe to come from a spec).
>
> GSR

There is no spec, so... open format? hmm...

OpenFormat == Please use our format.
Closed Source SDK == Autodesk maintains control/

IMHO Supporting FBX is like OpenOffice having to write MS-Doc files.

Its only open in that they dont try to make it secret. the ascii format
is humanly readable.

I wrote this exporter by exporting OBJ files from Blender, then
converting them to FBX with Autodesks free converter, and looking at the
result,
starting from a cube and working up in complexity, diffing with blenders
export to make sure results were 100% the same.

Id doubt theres any legal issue here.

People are asking for an importer, for that we may need to use the SDK
and then we'll have to work out how to do that... (write a python module
that interfaces the SDK? somehow make a plugin? etc)