[Bf-committers] Universal Binaries for Mac

Mathias Panzenböck grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net
Sat Aug 25 13:58:11 CEST 2007

Timothy Baldridge wrote:
> I'm not sure there is much point going Universal with GPL apps. The
> only reason most programs do it is because then they can have one CD
> and one program for both code architectures, for blender it just makes
> sense to make another download and distribute it separately.

Especially because in an universal binary all the architecture dependent
files are included twice (once for each architecture).
So separate downloads will actually be smaller (if you don't have both
architectures and therefore have to download both; then the universal
binary is smaller, because the architecture independent files are only
included once).