[Bf-committers] NDOF

Ettore Pasquini ettore_pasquini at 3dconnexion.com
Thu Aug 16 23:58:38 CEST 2007

On 8/16/07 5:01 AM, "Carsten Wartmann" <cw at blenderbuch.de> wrote:

> sfogoros schrieb:
>
>> I don't understand what you mean by Roll/Nick. The Nick part throws me
>> off.
>
> Well maybe I am a bit biased by my hobby rc-helicopter flying... Also I
> may missuse the terms a bit because of that.

I also do not understand what you mean by Nick and why/how "Roll/Nick do
wrong things in Fly mode".

I do realize there's a lot of confusion given by terminology and just our
own assumptions about how things should work, it's surprising to see how a
3D world is subject to so many interpretations. If anyone feels like writing
a wiki page about all this, that would help a lot I believe.

>> And, my guess is that when you say very small amounts of transform,
>> I perceive how difficult it can be to move the view when the axes are
>> swapped. When the axes are oriented correctly, fly mode allows very nice
>>   transforms.
>
> Yes, possibly.
>
> It seems that I come closer if I swap the zoom direction in the first
> panel of the 3dconnexion control Panel.
>
> So but then I have to swap the zoom direction everytime I  swap from fly
> to transform mode.

You shouldn't be needing to do that, that's not how the control panel is
designed. The intent is to let the user choose a zoom direction per
application, adjust the overall sensitivity and that of each individual
axis, and then don't worry about it anymore. If you find yourself always in
the control panel, something is wrong. and I'd say you can report this kind
of bugs in this way, and I apologize in advance if this will sound too
pedantic, I just want to build some common ground:

choose your zoom direction preference and then get comfortable in just one
of the currently supported modes (turntable, fly, transform). Start working
with the control panel driver defaults and report which axes are swapped or
too sensitive in your opinion.  Then fix them individually to suit your
needs, and move to the next mode. In theory you should not need to adjust
them again: if you do, it means that the first mode you just configured is
going to be screwed up and that's not what we want. So, report what
adjustments you had to make *relative* to the previous mode. This way we can
understand which mode needs fixing, and which individual axes needs
sensitivity adjustments.  Generally speaking, when you say something is too
slow/fast/inverted, it's important for me to specify "compared to what",
i.e. give the context or specify what is related to. :)

Ettore