[Bf-committers] NDOF: patch for spin/roll rotations

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Thu Aug 16 18:01:20 CEST 2007

Le 10 août 07 à 01:42, Ettore Pasquini a écrit :

> In other words the control of the spinning around the world's Up
> axis should
> move from the device's Spin axis to the device's Roll axis
> depending on the
> orientation of the world's Up axis relative to the screen.

I applied the patch. does what it advertize, thanks.

However, i fall on somewhat a stumble block.

Should we link the device on the world axis or the view axis ?
This has somewhat a strong importance, but there is some coherency
problems

- in turntable and fly mode, view axis are what make sense. that
means that an action
  on the device will always give predictable results and always the
same. That fly rotation are
inverted seems to me natural as you are rotating the camera instead
of orbiting around selection

- In transform mode, we should and do respect actually the transform
orientation of the view.
  For that to work, we need to be in world coordinates when
orientation is global or local
   However, that means that an action on the devices may move a
different axis that in
turntable mode, or in the inverted way.

It make no sense to use view axis in transform mode unless the
transform orientation is
on view, but it is rather disturbing when it moves a different axis
than the one intented.

I would like some feedback on that before doing more, because i feel
it is important
--
Jean-Luc Peurière
jlp at nerim.net