[Bf-committers] Render Plugin Development

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Aug 16 03:21:02 CEST 2007

Campbell Barton wrote:
> Jonathan Merritt wrote:
>
>> Campbell Barton wrote:
>>
>>> Can you give an example of why a C render plugin would need to call a
>>> python script?
>>>

>> I'd imagine that one use for this could be procedural generation of
>> render output.
>>
>> <snip>
>
> This still dosnt make sense to me, are you saying the render API should
> provide some special function to run a python script? - C can alredy do
> this without too much trouble.

Well, following the RenderMan example, the problem is that the renderer
itself doesn't know about Python.  Remember that RenderMan renderers can
be linked directly into a compiled binary.

Let's say I have some C code (the render plugin), and I want to
implement a piece of procedural geometry using the standard procedural
interface provided by PRMan or Aqsis (or ...).  To do this, I'd create
two functions in my C program:
    void refineproc(RtPointer data, RtFloat levelofdetail);
    void freeproc(RtPointer data);
The purpose of the refineproc() function is to spit out more geometry
(which can also be procedural in nature), while freeproc() is called at
the end to free any working data.  To instantiate the geometry, I'd then
call:
    RiProcedural(data, bound, refineproc, freeproc)
data is an arbitrary pointer that the refineproc() uses to generate the
geometry, and bound is a bounding box.

What I'm suggesting is that the render plugin would have a *single*
refineproc() and a *single* freeproc().  The data pointer passed to
these functions would refer to a struct that specifies which Python
script to call, and with what arguments.  Thus, the external renderer
could end up calling right back into a Python script inside Blender.

The Python scripts would then need a way to pass their generated
geometry back down to the renderer.  Again, this must be done by calling
Ri functions which are provided by the renderer itself.  So, the easiest
way is to bind those Ri functions to Python.  The de-facto standard
RenderMan interface in Python is provided by CGKit
(cgkit.sourceforge.net), so it would be a case of implementing that
interface as a binding to the render API.

To make all of this a clean interface, the render API would need to
provide links to be able to call Python scripts.  As you mention, the
plugin could try digging around in Blender's internals to get everything
it needs to be able to invoke a script.  However, this would be a Bad
Thing (TM).

I should also mention that procedural geometry can be implemented as a
Python script *outside* Blender, which is run by invoking an external
instance of the Python interpreter.  This method already works well for
Aqsis (there are two examples in the Aqsis test suite).  However, the
dis-advantage here is that the external Python script must have all of
its data passed to it, while a Python script executed inside Blender
could use the Blender Python API to get everything it needs... much more
powerful and flexible.

Regardless, all of this is hypothetical, and a long-term idea.  I'm not
sure it really matters at all to Aaron's current work. :-)

Jonathan Merritt.