[Bf-committers] Render Plugin Development

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Wed Aug 15 18:01:59 CEST 2007

Mathias Wein wrote:
> Okay, seems we agree ID-Props are essential, before i can't
> access them it's almost pointless to write a plugin for the
> new yafray code, because pretty much everything gets
> stored as ID-Properties.

I assume you mean "before you can access them"?
You can edit ID properties from the help menu, as well as in python and
C. Access isnt pretty right now but if the help menu ID-Props editor is
too cumbersome you could write your own settings editor in python
without too much trouble.

> Campbell Barton wrote:
>> Id suggest that custom material types make use of blenders internal data
>> where possible.
>> (Matt - maybe this is implied in your proposal, not sure...)
>> For example, you have a scene. render in Povray and set the color to
>> just the right color, then decide to try renderman, when changing the
>> material types youd not want to loose the color.
>>
> Well, my "scripting department" (Bert Buchholz) strongly voted against
> mixing blender settings with external renderer specific ones, and he
> pretty much convinced me it is the better way.
> If the blender material can't be converted, make a complete and clean
> interface for the material type, it is confusing if renderers overwrite
> each other's settings, and mappings will become unintuitive if you try
> to reuse too many settings, too few will have the same meaning.

First of all there would be nothing to stop you doing this since you
could access both internal settings and ID-Props.

However for basic stuff - like color or lamp energy would be annoying to
have to re-assign them whenever you switch rendering engines.- Its up to
you to decide where make use of your own settings and not use blenders.