[Bf-committers] Render Plugin Development

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Wed Aug 15 07:09:09 CEST 2007

Read through your review and agree with your proposal for the most part.

* regarding conversion of blender materials - strongly agree, I think
this will be the default anyhow.

* As for render specific settings, I always imagined an extra panel that
would be used to select custom renderer settings.
However, the downside of this is the user would be faces with a large
number of settings and only a small number would be used in the final
output.

So, to go with your suggestion that we have each plugin define its own
types...

Id suggest that custom material types make use of blenders internal data
where possible.
(Matt - maybe this is implied in your proposal, not sure...)
For example, you have a scene. render in Povray and set the color to
just the right color, then decide to try renderman, when changing the
material types youd not want to loose the color.

so each user interface will need to be able to access ID-Props AND the
material's settings (already possible from C and Python so no big deal)

This would also help to avoid proliferation/duplication of ID-Props,
would only need to add them where blender does not have the setting
already.

I was thinking it might be good to have some way to enable specific
panels  - for instance, many render'ers will use color in a similar way,
so there could be a way to flag one of the panels on. BUT this means if
the UI is altered or changes - it will stop some settings for being
accessible - so probably best not to have this.

--
Campbell J Barton (ideasman42)