[Bf-committers] Render Plugin Development

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Wed Aug 15 05:33:16 CEST 2007

I think python integration should be left until the API is in blender
trunk and we have some example plugins.

Can you give an example of why a C render plugin would need to call a
python script?

Another area that would be interesting is having the render API in
python (a bit like how you can access opengl from python). would be good
for prototyping and testing - since people would not need to compile the
plugins to test and run - But its really too early to start on this (IMHO)

One thing we should do is work out how render specific options will be
accessed. I hope ID-Props will be used,
that way, the C api can be developed separately, and we can work out the
best way for users to modify ID-Props through a user interface.

Bobby Parker wrote:
> This is great work so far. Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get
> this to make calls to Python scripts (running or otherwise)?
>
> ShortWave
>
> On 8/14/07, Shaul Kedem <shaul.kedem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Aaron,
>>
>> Very nice tutorial,  I hope the documentation will be linked here as
>> well, for example, what is the full list of functions that can be
>> called in the init stage etc.
>>
>> Also, what is the error handling mechanism?
>>
>> Shaul

>>> BTW, do you have access to ID properties in the render API?  The render
>>> API was kindof half the motivation behind doing them, after all :)
>>>
>>> Joe

Campbell J Barton (ideasman42)