[Bf-committers] Render Plugin Development

Aaron Moore two.a.ron at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 12:11:43 CEST 2007

Hello everyone,

The render API has just tonight gotten into a somewhat very basic, but
complete state: that is there is sufficient data export to create
images and these images can be passed back into blender for display
and saving.

If there is anyone who knows the interface of an external renderer and
would like to try writing a plugin for the API, that would be awesome.
I've posted a list here of the current state of the API functions:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Render_API#Current_State_of_the_API

...so you know what works and what doesn't. I'll keep it up-to-date
with the progress. If you run into any issues, you can contact me
here:

two.a.ron [at] gmail [dot] com

The RIB export plugin that I've been test with Aqsis is very basic,
but it demonstrates the use of the basic functionality. There is
documentation for the functions both in the wiki and in
/source/blender/render/render_api/includes/RenderAPI.h

Anyone who would volunteer some time to help me out in this way, I
would appreciate it: because I'm sure you could write better exporters
than I can. Feedback is more than welcome.

Aaron