[Bf-committers] Linux plugin (was: Re: NDOF -- new commit)

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Fri Aug 3 00:46:38 CEST 2007

Le 1 août 07 à 03:03, Martin Poirier a écrit :
>> I think it would be better if all this was automatic
>> implementing maybe a
>> transaction mechanism, like:
>> - when entering transform mode, we open a new
>> "transaction"
>> - user _continuously_ moves the cap as much as he
>> wants
>> - once we detect a pause in user motion, we close
>> the transaction. This will
>> result in one atomic undo step.
>> - we get ready for a new transaction.
>
> That's pretty much what I was aiming for minus the
> automatic stop (not that I'm against that, mind you).

Automatic stop is absolutely mandatory. A great use of
the device is tweak.

  you select with the mouse, move with navigator.
reducing sensibility is needed for that.

But due to ergonomy of the device, being forced
to click at each step would be unbearable

>> Basically we'd need
>> a way to group each
>> micro-step in a sequence of steps and expose only
>> the sequence.
>
> That's pretty simple to do if the device is integrated
> as a transform input. That will do the aggregation
> automatically.
>
>> Opening/closing the transaction is doable with
>> proper timing, or even easier
>> with just observing for a all-zero vector.
>
> Waiting for all-zero vectors is certainly doable.
> Timer is a bit harder (would require a bit more work).

waiting for zero is the best solution imho, but can we mix
rotations and translations in same step ?

remember current code is preliminary, we need to find
what are the best uses.

Jean-Luc Peurière
jlp at nerim.net