[Bf-committers] 64 bits coding

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Apr 29 13:19:41 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've reviewed all code in source/blender/ for 64 bits fitness (by using
gcc warnings). The current state seems to be pretty good, also for
.blend projects using > 4 GB. Although that statement should get
evidence once. :)

What I didn't check yet was the game engine, and all libraries in
intern and extern.

Nevertheless, the ban on 64 bits has been relieved, and I look forward
to stress tests! :)

Here are a couple of issues we need to solve:

----------- Casting ---------

General: how to cast int->pointer and pointer->int for cases where you
want it? We have plenty of callback functions using 'void *' as general
in/out.

The weird thing is that gcc accepts this by casting via long, example:

int a= 0;
void *b;

b= (void *)(long)a; /* no warning! */
a= (long)b;         /* no warning! */

------------ Subsurf code ------------

blenkernel, subsurf_ccg.c

- void pointers (like CCGFaceHDL) are mixed up with indices.
   It seems the vert/edge/face 'HDL' variables are always indices, not
pointers ever. Very confusing...

- struct UvMapVert has a mysterious element 'f' which is an index but
also being multiplied with 4...?

- strange index multiplications you find all over in this file (*4)

blenlib, BLI_ghash.c edgehash.c, BLI_heap.c

- make API wrappers for int index hashes? Will solve plenty of warnings

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org