[Bf-committers] ID Properties and 64 bits

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 01:42:54 CEST 2007

Hi.  I'm working out how ID properties will work in 64-bit blender.
Currently I'm thinking that I should use int32_t
<http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/group__avr__stdint.html#gdb828ef50c2dbb783109824e94cf6c47>
to store ints, to avoid all kinds of conversion woes (for example, id
properties is a generic storage format, but what if someone stores a < 4
billion number in a 64-bit id property and its loaded into a 32-bit
blender? should blender then use a long long instead of a normal int?
Better to just use 32-bit ints all around).

Int32_t is a C99 datatype (defined in stdint.h) that defines a 32-bit
integer.  Most likely a wrapping header will have to be made for irix
and other platforms that are still at C89.

This would of course mean adding int32_t
<http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/group__avr__stdint.html#gdb828ef50c2dbb783109824e94cf6c47>
support to makesdna.  While I'm add it, it may be a good idea to add
intptr_t support too.  Intptr_t is a C99 integer datatype capable of
holding a pointer; we discussed on irc a while back possibly using it.

Joe