[Bf-committers] Animation Baking Take II

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Apr 28 12:11:03 CEST 2007

Hi Roland,

Thanks!

It still confuses me though... the wiki text mixes up end-user
expectations and implementation ideas too much. You might separate that
more (ignore implementation ideas altogether?).

The wording also confuses me... "key framed motion", what is that? I
guess you mean the object Ipo, and not Shape keys? What is a path +
speed-ipo, "key framed motion" too? Or what is a lattice with hooks?

Another issue I need to know is "why". What do you require baking for,
and which situations really? That is crucial information for being able
to implement and design features well.
It is well possible you use this baking feature to solve weak parts of
Blender animation design? In that case we better solve other design
issues.

Lastly, the proposal doesn't mention animation systems (dozens of
related objects). How to "bake" that, and again whatfor precisely?

In my idea, we need a really thorough design session once on the
Blender (character) animation system. It has severe weak parts that
block me from adding improvements or new features. I also lost the big
picture or design direction here... :)

-Ton-