[Bf-committers] CTRL-X functionality

Bob Wenzlaff (AB8TD) rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Wed Apr 25 20:25:22 CEST 2007

At 05:42 AM 4/25/2007, you wrote:
>In my opinion you save work, or you load work, or you quit blender.
>Assuming the user makes accidents bt default is dumbing and slowing
>down UIs.

But assuming they NEVER make mistakes is pretty dumb, too.  IIRC this
was the (falsetto) reason that slowed down undo for so long.

>My personal observation: I never (NEVER) in my 12 years of blender
>usage/testing had a Qkey accident, but already got several accidents
>with pressing CTRL+W accidentally. So, probably whatever default you
>pick, it always wrong... we then better move as quick as possible to
>allowing users to tweak keymaps based on own habits.
>
>-Ton-

I don't really think this has anything to do with what key it's
mapped to.  Whatever key it is, someone is going to hit it and
accidently and lose work.  Since you don't quit very often, adding a
failsafe is a very small cost.

Apply the 80/20 rule (80% of problems are due to 20% of the
causes).  Worry about UI speedups on things you do 100's of times per
session, like merging verts.  Maybe there should be a "memory"
version that does it the same as the last time you used
ctrl-m.   That would give the average user 100 fold the time savings
over anything we could possibly do with quit.

DT