[Bf-committers] Linux, Windowed by default (patch, needs discussion)

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Wed Apr 11 01:19:08 CEST 2007

On 4/11/07, Chris Want <cwant at ualberta.ca> wrote:

> I see this as a non-issue (other than "change for the sake of
> change") and I vote to keep things the way they are.
>
> Chris

I think there are a few good reasons for it, it's not just change for
change's sake.

Not only is it good to keep things consistent between OS platforms,
it's also good to keep things consistent between other apps on Linux.
I don't use Linux a great deal, but I don't know of any other
applications that start full screen with no window controls.

For some users who may not know whatever hidden hotkeys there are to
move the windows, or about the command line switch, it could make
things quite troublesome, since they're stuck in full screen mode with
no obvious way to get out of it. Although it's great to have easy
access to this as an option, there are also lots of good reasons to
have Blender windowed, such as comparing images in an image
editor/viewer, following tutorials online or in a video player, etc,
and of course it's not nice to be taking over and covering other OS
related things like a task bar by default, unless it's been
specifically chosen.

The best solution IMO is to make it windowed by default, and provide
the little button in the top-right as was on Windows, to make it full
screen.

cheers

Matt