[Bf-committers] Linux, Windowed by default (patch, needs discussion)

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Tue Apr 10 18:54:58 CEST 2007

Chris Want wrote:
> Campbell Barton wrote:
>> Hi, We need to discuss making windowed default on linux (rather then
>> fullscreen)
>> - obvious reasons, make it easy for the new user and advanced users
>> can make it fullscreen if they like.
>
> I see this as a non-issue (other than "change for the sake of
> change") and I vote to keep things the way they are.
>
> Chris

Okay, here are my arguments... ;-)

* change for consistency
   - Blender is the only app that runs fullscreen on my system by default)
   - Blender runs windowed on other popular OS's

* Change to make it easier for newbe's,
   - a good first impression is
important. not that it hides their system tray, clock etc.
   - Sure the distributions can have a .desktop file with -w but for the
users that download the linux binary, they will unpack an run.
   - Newer users who download are also not so likely to look into.
command line options, let alone make their own .desktop file or launcher
script.

* many users run windowed anyway, I have a wrapper script to start
blender that does this.

Good defaults are important because most people wont change them.