[Bf-committers] Library Name Problem

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Tue Apr 10 06:00:00 CEST 2007

I just had a problem with linked library's

This seems something that should be simple and has ended up being fairly
complicated with no obvious solution, its also happened to me more then
once.

Ill simplify names just for this example

* lib.blend - has a mesh Im using in data.blend

* I needed to rename a texture in lib.blend (because these texture names
are seen in a model library that we distribute)

* I rename the texture filename in lib.blend and replaced the image.

* when loading the data.blend, it reports
	LIB ERROR: can't find IMsome_madeup_name_1024

* This means any faces/material textures that use the image will be
lost, manually replacing is out of the question and not something that
can be done reliably.

* so the solution is to rename the image that was replaced so data.blend
loads fine.

* some_madeup_name_1024 is 22 chars, the image name field's maximum
length is 21 so I cant rename back to the original name to fix the
linking error.

My options are to hex edit the blend file or modify the name fields
maximum length (since the real name limit us 23)

Neither are good long term solutions.

- Cam