[Bf-committers] Spaceball support

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Tue Apr 10 01:25:48 CEST 2007

Le 9 avr. 07 à 23:10, Stefan Gartner a écrit :

> Hi all,
> I recently got an (rather old) IBM Spaceball (made by SpaceTec/
> 3Dconnexion)
> and was wondering if it would be feasable to add support for it to
> Blender.
> I know about the attempts made using 3Dconnexion's SDK, however it
> doesn't
> seem to support my device and it's not free.
>
> I've found a BSD-licensed library for UNIX-like systems (libsball
> [1]) which
> supports my spaceball at least on Linux and IRIX (that's where I
> could test
> it) - I guess it also works on *BSD and Solaris, maybe even OS X (and
> Windows?).
>
> My question now is:
>
> Should I try to integrate libsball in blender 2.44 or is it better
> to wait for
> the event refactor scheduled for 2.50?
>
> greetings,
> stefan
>
> [1] http://jedi.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/projects/libsball/ - mine looks
> like the
> one on the picture, except it's black and has an IBM logo on it.

nice find.

Having no spaceball, i cannot test, but if it can be ported on other
systems,
it resolve the main problem about the 6DOF patch rotting in the server.

i have not really evaluated the patch itself but the approach was
reasonable.

I still will try to add generic HID support in new ghost (which will
support newer
models) but that dont conflict.

--
JLuc