[Bf-committers] Spaceball support

Stefan Gartner stefang at aon.at
Mon Apr 9 23:10:46 CEST 2007

Hi all,
I recently got an (rather old) IBM Spaceball (made by SpaceTec/3Dconnexion)
and was wondering if it would be feasable to add support for it to Blender.
I know about the attempts made using 3Dconnexion's SDK, however it doesn't
seem to support my device and it's not free.

I've found a BSD-licensed library for UNIX-like systems (libsball [1]) which
supports my spaceball at least on Linux and IRIX (that's where I could test
it) - I guess it also works on *BSD and Solaris, maybe even OS X (and
Windows?).

My question now is:

Should I try to integrate libsball in blender 2.44 or is it better to wait for
the event refactor scheduled for 2.50?

greetings,
stefan

[1] http://jedi.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/projects/libsball/ - mine looks like the
one on the picture, except it's black and has an IBM logo on it.