[Bf-committers] Re: handcrafted makefiles, autotools, scons and cmake ?

Gilbert, Joseph T. jgilbert at tigr.ORG
Mon Sep 18 16:21:55 CEST 2006

First of all I'd like to say thx for working on such a complex build
system.
I have built the VC2003 7.1 blender from Cmake (the IDE 7.1 not the free
version). I had no problems with the build (including the resource icon
issue mentioned earlier). However there are a few areas that need to be
addressed:

1- The source tree is a mess. Cmake throws files and directories all
over the blender/source tree like a wild kid. Even from the time of the
obj/ directory there has been an effort to keep the "crap" out of the
source tree. (other than makefiles). Both Scons and the vc7/vc8 project
files put all the linker intermediate files in a separate directory tree
called build/xxx, where xxx = the build type. vc7 uses the build/msvc_7
directory to store .obj files for instance.
If I want to delete that 1-2gigs of .obj files, I have to search through
the source tree now (or delete the whole things and do and update from
cvs).  Notice that the vc7/vc6 projectfiles reside in their own tree
structures rather than living inside the source tree (as is the usual
Microsoft custom).
There is a 1) buildfile directory 2) a sourcefile directory 3) a build
output directory.

2- Libraries and source are mixed in the build.  The extern/ and intern/
libraries are being built with the source/ tree. This is nice the first
time you build blender. However, once you build extern/ and intern/
there should really be no need to build them again unless your are
working on one of blender's dependances.
Intern/ and extern/ can be built together, but no alongside the source/.
For developers it's a pain.
(ALLBUILD and INSTALL aren't really necessary if you supply the correct
dependancies for each module and use the post-build events, although its
not a big deal.)

3- Blenderplayer, Blender, and the activeX controller are all being
built under 'release'.  These should be built under different builds. I
never build the activeX controller and should not be forced to everytime
I recompile.

4- Under the debug build I'm getting "please locate the executable to
use for the debug build" and a search box. This is very unusual for
msvc. It seems that the project doesn't know where the executable when
to.

6- None of the builds are putting the proper .dlls in the executable
bin. Python24.dll, etc. are not being copied out. This means when you
click the executable after the first build you'll simply get a error
message requesting the the location of the external dependancies. Either
the dependancies need to be on the system path (or more common for
windows) they need to be in the .exe's directory path.

7- Scripts and .po's are not being creating in the executable bin. There
is no .blender directory for launching the default config file. There is
no release info being copied out.

8 - I also had trouble finding where blender.exe when to. It not in the
bin/ directory as one would expect but in the ../cmake-build/bin
directory. This really should be send to blender/bin/.

Anyway, just a few comments on what I saw for the vc7 build.  Thanks for
the hard work btw on this system.

Joseph (ascotan)