[Bf-committers] Re: handcrafted makefiles, autotools, scons and cmake ?

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Sun Sep 17 23:33:14 CEST 2006

Hi Jacques,

It looks promising, but my build failed (make). As such, I
have yet to test the re-build time, which in my estimation will
be an important gauge of cmake's usefulness. Also, I'm not sure
how difficult this system is to maintain (for example, can a
person just add a C file to a directory and expect it to
build, or do they have to name each file somewhere?).

Here are the issues I encountered:

* in the tar file there is extern/verse/dist/mkprot/CMakeLists.txt,
but sometime during my previous build with make there was a
file created called extern/verse/dist/mkprot, and this caused
the extraction of the tarball to fail.

* my build fails because there is no option to exclude openal
and I don't have openal installed

* I use the nice 'ccmake' tool for a curses interface to
configure the sources. Each time I press 'c' to configure,
I get a warning that essentially says:

CMake produced the following output:

  Configuring library bf_soundsystem

  Configuring library bf_string

  Configuring library bf_ghost
.
.
.
etc.

I then have to press 'e' to exit the help dialog.

My guess is that you aren't handling output (like stdio/stderr)
correctly in your cmake files. Other projects that use cmake
(e.g. VTK) don't give such messages.

I guess I would be a bit more reluctant to add this to
CVS until we get more feedback from others testing the
system -- we've gone through a lot of build systems in
CVS as it is, and my feeling is that we should be sure
that it's the right way to go before adding another one.
Despite my hesitant feelings, it does look promising though.

Regards,
Chris