[Bf-committers] GCC 4 Python compatability issues

Branan Riley branan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 18:47:50 CEST 2006

I've made a discovery about Python that's been compiled with GCC 4.
Namely, it doesn't work with the Blender downloads. I was working on a
SLED 10 system, which is built with, and includes GCC 4. The Blender
from the site didn't work, but the one I compiled myself found Python
fine, with no change to the default directories. For now, many systems
are still running GCC 3.x, so that means either

a) say there's no support for SLED 10 SuSe 10.1, and any other future
distros that use GCC 4.x

b) say there's no support for older distros

c) build GCC 3.x and 4.x versions of Blender.

I'm thinking (c) is probably the best option for now, and maybe in a
year or so drop support for GCC 3.x-based systems.

On the bright side, these latest distros also have up-to-date pythons,
so only the 2.4 Python needs to be build, not a 2.3-compatible
version.