[Bf-committers] Re: handcrafted makefiles, autotools, scons and cmake ?

Stephane SOPPERA stephane.soppera at wanadoo.fr
Mon Sep 11 20:34:40 CEST 2006

Jacques Beaurain a écrit :
> Hi again,
>
> I now have full CMake builds for everything including the GameEngine
> and Player. I also cleaned up a lot of warnings using compile flags
> for VS2005 (Still needs to be done for XCode) Here is another drop of
> files. To keep your sources clean I recommend an out-of-source build
> using the following procedure:
>
> 1. Make a directory callled cmake-build in the folder right above the
> blender source directory (same place as lib). The CMakeLists files
> also redirects the final linked binaries to this directory under
> folders called bin/Debug, bin/Release ...
>
> 2. On the command line run the cmake generation command (e.g. "cmake
> -G "Visual Studio 8 2005" ..\blender\")
>
> 3. Open the project generated in this directory and build the
> ALL_BUILD target.
>
> Has anyone tried this? Let me know  if you run into any issues. There
> is a VS2005 issue with Verse for which I will make another post.
Hi,

Thanks for your work!
I tested under windows with Free MSVC7.0 and NMake make files and I
found two problems.

The first is with "source\icons\winblender.rc". I had to change its
content with:
APPICON        ICON     "..\\blender\\source\\icons\\winblender.ico"
BLENDERFILE    ICON     "..\\blender\\source\\icons\\winblenderfile.ico"
If I don't do that, rc.exe (which is gorc.exe renamed as rc.exe to
replace rc.exe that is not provided by miscrosoft along free toolkit)
can't find winblender.ico and winblenderfile.ico. This could be a
problem coming with gorc.exe, and not happening with rc.exe from microsoft.

The second is the same than the one already discussed on the list about
scons: for openEXR, you used libraries in "lib_msvc" instead of the ones
in "lib". So these makefile compile with MSVC8 and not with MSVC7.

This is the only two problems I noticed.
Except that, it's working great and seem faster than scons (I'll make a
test soon).

Stéphane