[bf-committers] anyone up for a challenge?

Kent Mein mein at cs.umn.edu
Tue Oct 24 21:50:14 CEST 2006

> Hey Kent,
>
> was a python suppression file used or do they support such?  Python
> gives a lot of false positives for valgrind without a suppression
> file, and I think I've heard similar issues for other such tools, so
> anything that is in the python interpreter and builtin classes (as
> opposed to Blender specific ones) we probably ought to skip.  Coverity
> has planned to analyze our source also under the DHS grant, however
> they planned to wait till the next release since building on Redhat
> wasn't obvious at the time.
>
> LetterRip

Yep I've used valgrind a bit, as with any tool they will have false positives
some times.  While I've only looked through things for an hour or two
here and there, so far it seems very accurate.  I have found one issue
that was miss reported though, so I'm sure there will be others.

It has a pretty nice system so you can focus on specific directories, as
well as filter things you do not want to look at pretty well.
There is nothing specific in the interface that mentions python in the
filtering though so we'll just have to look and see if its an issue.

Thanks,

Kent
mein at cs.umn.edu
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mein