[Bf-committers] Faster listbase lookups

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Oct 23 16:08:28 CEST 2006

Hi,

Jiri has an old proposal in wiki for how to make a hybrid list with an
array. Code that turns lists temporally in arrays and then does a
binary search would speed up functions a lot.

And yes, all Library data is supposed to be sorted alphanumeric. There
seems to be a bug somewhere that breaks this, which has to be located
first. Also note that this sorting is per Library (if linked data is in
use).

However, I wouldn't expect too much yet of quick and easy solutions.
The real slowdown is also because of a lack of structure in many
database related calls. There is duplicate code for it all over, like
in the 'expand' code for readfile.c, the 'make local' code in kernel
and in editobject.c. This was a historical process really... and
something that could be tackled all at once. In the blenkernel a couple
of generic calls should be created that can traverse all dependencies
in Library data efficiently. That's not very easy, but definitely the
ultimate solution.

-Ton-