[Bf-committers] Faster listbase lookups

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Sat Oct 21 14:33:57 CEST 2006

Hey Guys

Iv been using scenes with a large number of objects recently, - groups
and scnene-sets has helped me bring object counts down from 50,000 to
about ~5000 per scene but even with 5000 objects, it can still be
noticeably slow to duplicate, parent and unparent objects. - a few seconds.,

My understanding of threads is limited, but I was thinking
one thing that could improve performance on large ListBases is a way to
thread ListBase searches so 2 threads would search starting at each end
of the listBase and check up with (eachother every ~50 or so iterations
to see if they have found the item thats being searched for)

Im not sure weather youd want this all the time, because it could be
slower for smaller listbases, but in that case it may be woth the small
slowdown....

Talking to Emil, he thaught it would be possible.

first Id like to know what others think, then if thats ok, if anyone
would like to do this (would be a paid job).

- Cam

--
Campbell J Barton

133 Hope Street