[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src editscreen.c

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 20:32:24 CET 2006

--- Chris Want <cwant at ualberta.ca> wrote:

> What about a hot key to reset the current mouse
> cursor
> position during transform (without changing the
> actual
> transform value) to say, half way between the
> current
> mouse position and the center of transformation? So,
> there is no unintentional wrapping, but those who
> would
> like a bit more room to move aren't out of luck.
> I'd propose the space key. The nice thing is this
> could be easily modified so that it would also help
> those who are scaling downward get extra precision
> when approaching the centre of transformation
> (here hitting the space key could put the cursor
> closer to the border of the space).

Unless we also readjust the initial distance from the
centre, warping wouldn't changes scaling precision
(that wouldn't be impossible, mind you).

For more precision, you can already use Shift at
anytime during transform. Just get close to the value
you want then press and hold down shift. You then have
10 times more precision to reach the value you need.

--- GSR <gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com> wrote:

> That is also bad UI. You are warping too, just after
> instead of while the motion is taking place.

I probably wasn't clear enough then. While hiding the
cursor, it would be warped back to it's initial spot
on each mouse movement (accumulating deltas
separately).

> In any case the screen
> to real position
> gets lost or severily distorted.

That is always a problem with warping, yes.

In that case, I'd say a userpref is more or less in
order.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that any cursor
warping/hiding or whatnot seriously hampers user
friendliness of interactive snapping (as you snapping
to geometry under the mouse in those case would be
absurd, we'd probably have to snap to the geometry
that "would have been" under the cursor or some other
trickery).

Martin