Subversion (was Re: [Bf-committers] Help request build systemsfor Bullet 2.x upgrade)

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Nov 26 14:59:23 CET 2006

Hi,

Here's some stats:

We currently have two dedicated servers, with bandwidth/rackspace fully
sponsored by Dutch provider XS4all. I've asked them if we can expand to
four servers a few weeks ago, replies from them go slow (and I am a bit
too busy to hunt them... :).

The plan then is to get two new fast servers, and divide the
webservices like this (tentative):

- OSX Xserve: download.blender.org + backup
- Dell server: projects.blender.org + cvs/svn + mailinglists
- New server 1: www.blender.org + shop
- New server 2: wiki.blender.org, orange.blender.org, forums, (public
access stuff)

Currently the Dell server also has download.blender.org, which is the
major slowdown bottleneck for cvs/projects stuff.

Matt and Bart are already working on a blender.org revamp (much better
nagivation structure, new design). Marco (our sysadm) will do the
installation/migration, including moving GForge for projects up to the
latest level, and have svn there.

It's quite an operation, and - yes sorry - already waiting to be
executed for over 6 months or so. There's just always something more
urgent to work on :)

I'll try a planning to have this done before 2007 though. Will keep you
informed!

-Ton-

(Note; I'm not very fond of migrating our coding projects to commercial
services like Sourceforge or Google. There's serious downsides or risks
involved with that, if we can manage this ourselves we should I think.)