[Bf-committers] Arabic interface

M. Bashir Al-Noimi hali83 at cec.sy
Thu Nov 23 21:06:30 CET 2006

Matt Ebb wrote:

> This may be the biggest hurdle, everywhere in Blender just assumes
> left to right. Do you know details on the specifics of how to make
> this work?
This is Visual C++ documentation display how you can appear the
characters in Bidi mode (Right To Left)
http://search.msdn.microsoft.com/search/Redirect.aspx?title=SetLayout&url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/gdi/devcons_5upg.asp

> i.e. is it enough to just start at the last character of the string
> and draw one character after the other, right to left, until you reach
> the start of the string?
no ... it's not enough
> Do the Arabic characters work this way with each character
> independent, or do they need special ligatures (connected characters
> as in cursive script)?
>
> From what I've briefly seen of Arabic, many characters change their
> appearance based on whether they are at the start, middle, or end of
> the word.
yes ... Arabic has special situation its need to change their appearance
based on whether they are at the start, middle, or end of the word
> Is this handled by the input system and encoded in the .po file, or
> does it need to be handled by Blender? Blender currently has no
> functionality like that at all.

only it needed for Blender, po format accept Arabic characters without
any problem, we've translated whole KDE suit without any problems (see:
http://arabeyes.org/)

--
Best Regards تحياتي
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi محمد بشير النعيمي

مدونتي My Blog
http://www.hali-sy.com/blog