[Bf-committers] Arabic interface

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Fri Nov 24 00:24:26 CET 2006

On 22/11/2006, at 00:30 AM, M. Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:

> 2- Arabic language need Bidi mode (Right to left), the default
> layout of
> blender is Left to right, how we can solve this problem ?

This may be the biggest hurdle, everywhere in Blender just assumes
left to right. Do you know details on the specifics of how to make
this work?

i.e. is it enough to just start at the last character of the string
and draw one character after the other, right to left, until you
reach the start of the string? Do the Arabic characters work this way
with each character independent, or do they need special ligatures
(connected characters as in cursive script)?

 From what I've briefly seen of Arabic, many characters change their
appearance based on whether they are at the start, middle, or end of
the word. Is this handled by the input system and encoded in the .po
file, or does it need to be handled by Blender? Blender currently has
no functionality like that at all.

cheers,

Matt

Matt Ebb . matt at mke3.net . http://mke3.net