[Bf-committers] Curve shape keys

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Wed Nov 22 17:48:49 CET 2006

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Robin Allen wrote:

> Is anyone working on this right now? As a user, I find the whole shape key
> system to be a mess, and I'd be glad to see it changed.

Heh. You *know* that the whole shape key system has *just* been completely
redesigned a few months ago, right?

> For example, 'key' and 'keyframe' are often used interchangeably in the
> interface, leading users to confuse shape keys with the keyframes which set
> their influence at a certain point in time.

You're right there.

> When moving an object which has a Loc IPO curve, for example, any changes you
> make to its position are cancelled unless you add a keyframe with IKEY->Loc.

...or unless you have cared to read the userprefs and activated "Auto keyframe" ;-)

> When shaping an object with a Shape IPO, though, any changes you make to its
> shape with the slider in the Shape box *add their own keys*. For
> consistency's sake, IKEY->Mesh should add the keyframes.

For consistency's sake, this should be decided by a userpref, just like
keyframes. But on the whole, userprefs are frowned upon because of unknown
reasons...