[Bf-committers] Proposed changes re: procedural textures

Robin Allen r.a3 at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 22 14:28:34 CET 2006

Emanuel Greisen wrote:
> May I suggest that it be take into account that this design depends on
> every texture having a unique "id", which actually is an index into an
> array. Hence if two developers both make a new texture (independently)
> their indexes will collide.
I'd been thinking about this; collisions would only be a problem for
plugins, and I'd imagined Blender assigning each plugin an ID in the
order they are loaded, starting at 1 greater than the highest builtin
ID. Then it writes a list of plugin filenames so it knows which plugin
corresponds to which generated ID.

Using GUIDs here does have the advantage of plugin authors being able to
change the filename of their plugin, or give two plugins the same name.
I'm assuming your idea of using GUIDs is similar to the above, but
replacing filenames with GUIDs stored in the plugin itself?

I'm not actually a fan of GUIDs; the fact that they're not absolutely
guaranteed to be unique bothers me. But if they're the most practical
option we have, I'm all for using them.