[Bf-committers] Proposed changes re: procedural textures

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Wed Nov 22 15:49:37 CET 2006

Matt Ebb wrote:
> That would be great, using plugins in blender is a real chore right now.
> One thing that's important too though, is that it would be great if
> there were better ways for plugins to define their UI control layouts.
> Right now the situation is pretty terrible, there's no way to define a
> layout, and there's little or no access to the more modern UI controls
> like colour pickers. It's usually just a barely usable conglomerate grid
> of buttons stacked on top of each other with no hierarchy or designed
> layout, which makes the experience of using a plugin that much worse.

Yeah, and the plugin UI stuff assumes that all of the
buttons manipulate data that is the size of a float. This
can be tricked to make the last button in the set a
text box, but it very kludgy. Plugins are also
restricted to 128 bytes (32 floats) worth of
data that the UI's can manipulate (again, one
can over come this by being sneaky).

So, bottomline: this plugin system should be thrown in
the trash and a new system should be designed. I would
like to see a plugin system that shadows the python
API (or a python API that shadows a plugin system).

Chris