[Bf-committers] More procedural textures?

Robin Allen r.a3 at ntlworld.com
Tue Nov 21 03:35:45 CET 2006

Tom M wrote:
> no one has just taken the time to do so, patches are welcome :)
Here's my tiles procedural:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=5276&group_id=9&atid=127

Robert Wenzlaff (AB8TD) wrote:
> What we need is a plug-in system that makes the whether the texture is a
> plug-in or a built-in superfluous (ie; the user can't tell the difference).
> I don't think there's a noticable performance hit, so we just need to smooth
> out the UI so plugins in the defined plug-in directory look like builtins.
>
> Eventually, all except the most basic textures could be plugins allowing the
> user to orgainize /extend the library as he/she likes.  (Subdirectories in
> the plug-in directory would be intermediate menu items, etc).
Yes, this would probably be better — it's a lot of effort to write a
builtin (code needs to be added in about 6 different places). Is anyone
working on this right now?

Come to think of it, there should be texture type previews in the menu
like in the texture (TE) menu.