[Bf-committers] CMake build options

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Mon Nov 20 21:59:04 CET 2006

Tony Agee wrote:
> Thanks for the tips Chris. I was already doing "out-of-source" builds.
> CMakeCache.txt does have those options, now that I look, but I'll just point
> out that the name of the file could be more indicative of it's purpose.
> But I stand by what I said earlier, there should be a "CMake-config.txt" in
> the blender dir, that is not under source control, that contains the primary
> options for the makefile generation phase. It just seems backwards to:

No, I think this is a bad idea. It means that you will only
want one config for every build you make with that source dir.
Generating the CMakeCache.txt in the build dir means you can
have one config per build dir, and configure different
builds with different configurations, using the same
source tree. The name CMakeCache.txt is a CMake
convention, so I don't think it's a good idea to monkey
with it.

> # cmake -D PYTHON_LIB=/usr/local/lib/python2.3/config/libpython2.3.so -D \
> PYTHON_INC=/usr/local/include/python2.3 -G "Unix Makefiles" ../blender

I don't use that at all. As you discovered, ccmake is a bit
more friendly for configuring builds, so I typically just use

ccmake ../blender

and set parameters in the curses UI.

Regards,
Chris