[Bf-committers] Sequencer feature requests from Plumiferos

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Nov 16 08:47:13 CET 2006

Hi,

I think it's great that people are talking (and doing things!) about
how to improve Blender's video sequence editing. Many of the things
I've seen in this thread would be quite nice, like automatic snapping
or transitions on overlapping strips, etc. There are a few other
features like clip bins/instances that probably wouldn't be too
difficult and would really bring Blender's editor forward.

I do think though, that someone should take a step back and think
about things on a higher level and make some kind of design proposal
for how things should work, since right now it seems that it can
potentially get quite messy and weird, with people making feature
requests and adding on functionality bit by bit, without thinking
clearly about how things should work in a general sense. An example
of this is the 'insert between', which is a confusing feature that
seems to be there to work around confusing complexity in how parts of
the sequence editor currently works.

I'd really like to see some kind of design concept/mockup/proposal,
some research of features and workflow in other editors and what they
get right or wrong, or at least some kind of plan for how the
sequence editor should evolve, including what sort of functionality
is feasible to potentially add, what is out of scope, and plans for
how to allow for this functionality in the interface. I personally
wouldn't mind at all if some of how the sequence editor works right
now gets scrapped in favour of a new design that can better
accommodate the sort of nice modern features and editing
functionality that people would like, but in order to do that, there
needs to be some kind of design guideline.  Otherwise there's the
danger of it ending up as patch upon patch upon patch that isn't very
fun to work with.

cheers,

Matt

Matt Ebb . matt at mke3.net . http://mke3.net