[Bf-committers] Blender for mechanical usage

M. Bashir Al-Noimi hali83 at cec.sy
Mon Nov 13 22:13:50 CET 2006

Early Ehlinger wrote:

> M. Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
>> so i ask and suggest to you to expand special version of Blander for
>> Mechanical usage, can we do that ?
> Blender is open source, so there's nothing to prevent you from doing
> this other than time & skill.  I'd love to commit to doing this, b/c I
> really enjoy drafting and haven't found a decent open-source tool to
> do it with.  Unfortunately, I'm very bandwidth-constricted right now
> (read: my plate is full), so I don't think I'll be able to contribute
> other than in a requirements gathering capacity.  Hopefully somebody
> with similar interests (perhaps you?) can lead the charge in getting
> something written...
sorry for delay ... i took some time to recover my e-mail content :-[
from my hand I'll be so glad to develop Blender for Mechanical but the
problem is I'm just programming hobbyist (I've small experience about
Java/SWT), so i can't enter Blender developer's world at this time .

> What features would you say are missing to make Blender usable as a
> mechanical design tool?  I believe 95% of what's needed is already
> there, so Blender represents a phenomenal starting point to produce
> such a beast.  On my list would be the following (some of these may
> already be there - let me know please!):
>
> * real world units - metric/SI preferred for internal representation,
> with conversion to/from US Standard (ft/inch) in the UI
> * numeric entry - "this item must be 2.3m long" - it'd be much better
> to be able to type this in than rely on the grid.
> * import/export .DWG format.
> * a special "blueprint view", similar to AutoCAD's notion of paper space
> ** correctly scaled, printable view, with render to pdf, printer, etc.
> ** multiple pages
> ** add dimensions and other notation to a drawing
> ** easily insert cross sections of a model on a blueprint page
great beside of last things we need a library -physically a wizard- for
Mechanical parts (you can get all the mechanical parts parameters form
http://www.varicad.com/ program although it's commercial but it has
trial version so you can take a look on its parts wizard), see the
attached picture for whole parts .

--
Best Regards تحياتي
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi محمد بشير النعيمي

مدونتي My Blog
http://www.hali-sy.com/blog