[Bf-committers] packages for specific linux distros?

Doug Olllivier doug at mudpuddle.co.nz
Thu Nov 9 23:14:04 CET 2006

Tom M wrote:
> I think it would be a good idea if we could have specific installs for
> Debian/Ubuntu, Redhat and Suse for the next release.  Both source and
> binarys.  This would make it easier for users and developers to get up
> to speed on the latest releases since some of our dependencies are
> unlikely to be met by default.
>
> Do we have any devs here who might be willing to look into this?  I
> recall some interest being expressed by a developer for doing RPMs but
> don't recall who it was.
>
> LetterRip

If this is the case would it be possible to refactor the downloads page
to be far more simple to the downloaders (instead of reading a list of
100 download options which for a noob windows user is confusing).

perhaps a set of drop down boxes like driver sites often have.

Windows, OSX, Linux, Irix... in the first drop down, then that changes
the second drop down to opperating system specific questions.

Windows.
installer or Zip.... then download location

Linux
PPC, Intel.....suse, mandrake, redhat, ubuntu..... then download location

OSX
ppc - intel.......then python version... and OSX version number...
download location

irix.....

solaris.....

only expose the user to the information they need to worry about.

we currently have 16 options, and with distro builds it will be more.
with Vista coming out that will add even more....

Doug Ollivier