[Bf-committers] linux app icon proposal

D.J. Capelis djcapelis at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 02:49:34 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 17:03 +0200, Onur Yalazı wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Matt Ebb wrote:
> >
> > that we provide on blender.org. It would be nice if there was some
> > easy way to 'install' that too (perhaps via shell script?), rather
> > than having people copy over icons themselves, but I don't know how
> > feasible that is.
> >
> For this case we might create a auto-package or makeself installer and
> use desktop-file-install utility for installing menu item. I think this
> utility is  present  on freedesktop complient systems.

desktop-file-install is certainly the right way to go about it if we're
going to script the install, but one of the nice aspects of how we
currently distribute blender on linux is that it requires absolutely no
installation process and no administrative access to run the
application.

Honestly I'd prefer to stay out of the installation realm for the
pre-built binaries and would prefer to work with the distros to make
sure they're shipping stuff right.  Installation and package management
should be the realm of the distribution.  (Honestly, they do it a lot
better than we could, as much as that makes our job harder.)

However, if someone would like to add support for file icons in our
standard makefiles and install scripts for our source, than that's fine
and I'd also be happy to include instructions in the tarball we
distribute on how people can install the icon if they wish.  (You can
even include a shell script if you'd like, but it shouldn't be called
install.sh, it needs to look optional, because it is.)  Also, it'd be
great if we could not only include the appropriate desktop-file-install
command they can run, but also instructions on how to write the .desktop
file to somewhere in their homedir so that freedesktop compliant DEs
will pick it up.  (This way non-root users can still have the fun of
pretty icons too.)

I guess my real problem with this idea is requiring root access and
labelling it as an installer.

~D.J.