[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/release/scripts image_dump2path.py import_obj.py blender/release/scripts/bpymodules BPyMessages.py

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Nov 3 23:15:28 CET 2006

On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Campbell Barton wrote:

> Yep, but I cant use pack/unpack at the moment because it limits the name
> length (will chop off characters),
>
> it also loads the image into blenders memory in rare cases would run your
> system out of memory.
>

> Workarounds for bugs maybe shouldent make it into the CVS, so I can rewind
> this one,
> but pack/unpack has shortened names for so long I thaught its current
> operation was accepted .

Well, I'm in no position to decide this of course, but obviously I think
that it would be better to fix the bug in the existing system (which btw
also does fonts and sounds) than to include a workaround.

In general, the library system needs a few features to make it cope better
with changes between systems.

Other software that deals with external files (say, Logic Audio) deals with
this in more elegant ways.. if it can't find files, it offers several
options such as "Search manually", "Use manual path for all files", etc...
which Blender needs badly. Also, it needs to stop printing fatal errors
(such as non-existing data files) to a hidden console.