[Bf-committers] Blender for mechanical usage

Early Ehlinger early at respower.com
Fri Nov 3 14:40:14 CET 2006

Early Ehlinger wrote:
> M. Bashir Al-Noimi wrote:
>> so i ask and suggest to you to expand special version of Blander for
>> Mechanical usage, can we do that ?
> What features would you say are missing to make Blender usable as a
> mechanical design tool?  ... On my list would be the following (some
> of these may already be there - let me know please!):
Forgot one:

* Named layers instead of the visual grid of layers.  Right now
Blender's layering system is very similar to LightWave's.  Something
more like 3dsmax would be really nice.  In max you can set a number of
attributes for each layer instead of the simple "visible/not visible."
The obvious one is "name," like "engine block," "camshaft," etc. There's
also "frozen," which means that even though it's visible, the items in
that layer are read-only.  There's "renderable," which if turned off
means the object won't show up in a render.  There are a few others that
escape me at the moment, but you get the idea.

--
Early Ehlinger, President, ResPower, Inc.