[Bf-committers] Render performance, slower then 2.41 , causes ?

Rui Campos rcampos at fusemail.com
Tue May 23 15:47:14 CEST 2006

Hi all,

I almost always use the latest CVS, but more recently I started noticing
that the Renders took much more time then I was used to, so I decided to
compare with 2.41, having a same file render on both.

There are some big differences between 2.41 and the latest CVS, being the
latest CVS much slower, specially when using Halo.

A nice test I did was to load a particle system on a plane and add an halo
material to it with a cloud texture as Col, some adjustments on the hard
to make it look more like fog, then rendered it.

The render took 4 minutes under CVS, while in 2.41the same file took a few
seconds.
The end result was quite different too, the latest CVS looked more like
what I wanted from start, but I was amazed at the speed diference between
both versions.

Now, is there any big differences in Halos that I had missed that could
cause this big difference ?

I also think that when using Ray Tracing things are slower with CVS, but I
need to test a bit more on this. I will provide some test scenes later,
but I don't want to post anything on the tracker unless necessary.

Cheerz,

-- Rui --