[Bf-committers] need to decide on bug tracker #4201, AVI codecs

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu May 18 01:43:30 CEST 2006

On 18/05/2006, at 09:40 AM, bjornmose wrote:

> Hello all,
> i am a bit stuck with that,
> https://projects.blender.org/tracker/?
> func=detail&aid=4201&group_id=9&atid=125
>
> overview:
> Most of the windows ( yup, that evil MS OS many users are on ) AVI
> codecs ( for rendering animations ) work fine if ( and only if )
> the row   extend ( say X_size  in memory ) of an image is a
> multiple of 4 bytes. Which is easely achieved by setting image
> dimensions on X to be n*4 (n in {1,2,3,..} ).

> question:
> is it worth to pull up those peculiarities to the UI and .. gee i
> don't want think about where to store / retrieve  it :)

I've know that at least DivX files need to be a multiple of 16 on
each side (most of the time it just gives you a warning when you try
to save a file that's the wrong dimensions) but nowhere, in any video
application, on any OS have I ever even seen anything about 'byte
alignment' when saving videos.

I'd say it's definitely not worth putting that in the UI, most people
will be absolutely confounded by it, and even the 0.1% of users who
might know what byte alignment even means, won't know what relevance
it has to them saving their videos anyway.

cheers

Matt