[Bf-committers] need to decide on bug tracker #4201, AVI codecs

bjornmose bjornmose at gmx.net
Thu May 18 01:40:38 CEST 2006

Hello all,
i am a bit stuck with that,
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=4201&group_id=9&atid=125

overview:
Most of the windows ( yup, that evil MS OS many users are on ) AVI
codecs ( for rendering animations ) work fine if ( and only if ) the row
   extend ( say X_size  in memory ) of an image is a multiple of 4
bytes. Which is easely achieved by setting image dimensions on X to be
n*4 (n in {1,2,3,..} ).

problem:
however there are users choosing other image dimensions.
a scan over some common codecs revealed that each individual codec has
it's own ideas of how the rows in image data should be aligned. Some
like 2 byte alignment, some 4, some refuse working ( on init ) if not 4
byte aligned.. don't know if there are other variants.

The code could take care for the peculiarity of the specific codec.
However the user would need to know which byte alignmet to use and even
worse : we must provide a UI to adjust it.

question:
is it worth to pull up those peculiarities to the UI and .. gee i don't
want think about where to store / retrieve  it :)
BM

NOTE: i'd be deeply greatful for every 'no' in this case :)