[Bf-committers] python nmesh setmode subsurf

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Tue May 2 07:29:41 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 01:08, Alexander Ewering wrote:
> On Mon, 1 May 2006, Ken Hughes wrote:
> >> how can one turn on subsurf using the new api ?
> I guess someone will add compatibility code that will add a subsurf
> modifier for old scripts which try to turn this flag on, right?

i don't know if that should be added. as you know, the move from 2.3 to 2.4
broke compatibility in some ways in both Blender itself and in the py API
(notable Armatures).

Blender of course does good efforts for backwards compatibility here: simple
armatures from before work still in current versions, and I just tested
subsurfing a mesh in 2.3 and loading it in current cvs, and it indeed created
a modifier nicely. But obviously in the GUI there is also no button to press
for subsurfing anymore, just the modstack.

So the equivalent behaviour for py api would perhaps be to make the getter for
the old subsurf flag to work, based on the modifier info, but have setting it
raise a DepracationError telling to use the modstack. All the scripts I have
heard of that have suffered from this problem were exporters that need to
check the subsurf setting. I guess scripts that create / modify objects and
set this setting are better ported to the 2.4 series anyway? Or would having
setting work be important for some reason?

Then again many scripts have already been ported to work with 2.4 .. oh except
that has the modstack support is so recent that they have had no way of
getting subsurf info, so they have been just broken .. and probably there is
a lot of obscure old exporters that have not been touched since 2.4 came (so
many people in this world seem to like having their own formats :) .. so now
we have a way for having them just work in 2.42

just thinking aloud,
thanks A. for pointing this out again :)

> | alexander ewering              instinctive mediaworks

~Toni